I promise this post is not as long as the other 2 parts of
Snowflake's V.'s story I just wanted to share a few bits since
Snowflake V. has left school 2 years ago.
Snowflake V. is now 6 years old and continues to be homeschooled with her 4 siblings. She still continues to go to speech and physical therapy weekly but has been making great strides. Loves to draw, write, paint, be outside, play with family and friends and chats up a storm. Out of everyone in the group she still gets the least dirty and when she does she washes her hands. She has got her own opinions and can be a bit bossy. Got to watch that. Like I said she has been quite chatty which is an enjoyment even when this mama is tired. I'm actually finding things out about school that we have never discussed. Yes 2 years later I find out what her life was like. Her language has flourished and I think her most growth and improvement was her first year at home at age 5. I always love hearing from family and friends (adult and children) "we love her and we can understand what she is saying" . "I can understand her." is my favorite :D
She loves being homeschooled and there is no looking back for her when it comes to school. Phew for me! I was confident it would be fine but it's a relief to hear from her.
On the flip side my husband deals with the aftermath of all those challenging personailites. From time to time he is the one who runs into everyone from the school department that was involved with
Snowflake's V.'s evaluations, placements and meetings. I warned him this would happen and told him to brace himself. Well if you can it believe he was preparing for the worst and instead he gets support. There have been a number of times he comes home that he ran into so and so and they said we are doing the right thing or the system is awful and we are doing the right thing for our family. Most people that came into contact with
Snowflake V. agree with our decision even the ones that were most challenging. One teacher after a conversation with my husband and listening to herself came to her own conclusion and said yes homeschooling is better for our family. Remember that therapist who said "Well she has had a taste of school." well she was much kinder to my husband and said she had a family member or friend who was homeschooled and went on to do very well in college. Ok now is that funny or what? We still get a confused face once in a while but it's the opposing side coming on board to our side. Go figure! I'm just happy their open minded.
Well I apologize if these past 2 posts were long but I really couldn't go right into why we homeschool without giving you the back story. My intent was to give you a better understanding around our family circumstances how we got into it and why we got out. For my two older children the story is completely different from
Snowflake's V. I hope to either shed light or offer support with our experience.
2 comments:
Snowflake ROCKS and we LOVE her! Yeah, for homeschooling:)
Hello Luisa,
I just wanted to offer my wholehearted support to you. Our story is very different but still full of trials and tribulations so I absolutely understand how difficult it all is. Good for you. You won't ever regret the decision to homeschool and your children will only benefit from this. Keep following your heart.
Best wishes
Michelle XX
Post a Comment